Just think of the possibilities if you decided to go with all of the opportunities placed in front of you throughout your life…
I suppose for most of us these decisions are centered around a point in time and our emotional and psychological state.
The possibilities are sometimes presented to us as a result of major life event such as the loss of a loved one, or the ending of a relationship.
Sometimes we just reach a state of maturity that lets us take that step back and begin to evaluate all that is important to us.
It allows us a moment to pause and contemplate all aspects of our lives, not least of which is understanding that life is indeed very short and that our personal happiness is paramount.
These inflection points often signal a change in mindset, which, in turn allows us to choose a different path forward.
Some of us take advantage of the possibilities, others choose not to.
Back in 2012 I was at that inflection point and made a conscious choice to move in a new direction.
My father had passed away, my marriage had ended and had become a single parent and on top of all that decided to leave a toxic work environment. Some might say I’d reached a mid-life crisis…
Well, it was definitely a turning point in my life and opened me up to wholesale change.
I was no longer in a place of comfort, but I suppose that was the whole point. Clearly, I needed to go through this experience so I that I could change the way I looked at life.
Since then, I have dedicated myself to living a life of yes!
Looking for the possibilities that presented themselves and going with the flow were foundational to pursuing the life I’d always wanted to live.
I think the biggest change in my mindset has been allowing myself to be okay with a life of abundance, even though I was in. a tough spot financially in that moment, I could see my life for what it was.
Growing up in poverty helped ground me to the fact that I needed to work hard, and that life wasn’t always going to be easy.
Which was a great foundation, but also limiting because I had a mindset of scarcity firmly planted in my head. This made it difficult to accept that I could become who I wanted to be in spite of where I was at that very moment.
Over time, and with the change in mindset I could only see abundance and possibility…
Here are some important ideas and practices to help you live a life of possibilities:
- An Open and Flexible Mindset: Adopting a growth mindset means believing in your ability to learn and develop new skills. Understand that your abilities and talents can be cultivated through effort and perseverance. Embrace challenges as opportunities for growth rather than fearing failure.
- Be Open to New Experiences: Step out of your comfort zone and try new things. Explore different hobbies, travel to new places, and engage with diverse cultures and perspectives. By exposing yourself to new experiences, you expand your horizons and open doors to unexpected possibilities.
- Dream Big: Define your goals and aspirations, both short-term and long-term. Set ambitious targets that stretch your abilities and push you beyond your limits. Dream big and visualize the possibilities of what you can achieve.
- Be Curious: Maintain a sense of curiosity and a thirst for knowledge. Ask questions, seek answers, and continuously learn. Stay open to new ideas, perspectives, and possibilities. Curiosity fuels personal growth and opens doors to new opportunities.
- Practice Resilience: Challenges and setbacks are inevitable in life. Build resilience by developing coping strategies and maintaining a positive mindset. See failures and obstacles as learning experiences that can lead to new possibilities. Use setbacks as stepping stones to propel you forward.
- Surround Yourself with Positive Influences: Surround yourself with supportive and positive individuals who inspire and motivate you. Build a network of like-minded people who encourage you to pursue your dreams and explore new possibilities.
- Take Calculated Risks: Sometimes, taking risks is necessary to unlock new possibilities. Assess the potential risks and rewards of a situation, weigh the pros and cons, and make informed decisions. Stepping out of your comfort zone can lead to exciting opportunities and personal growth.
- Embrace Change: Change is inevitable in life, and embracing it opens doors to new possibilities. Be adaptable and flexible, ready to embrace new circumstances and adjust your plans accordingly. See change as an opportunity for growth and self-discovery.
- Self-Reflection: Take time to reflect on your experiences, achievements (we rarely do this!), and areas for improvement. Self-reflection allows you to gain insights, learn from your experiences, and make adjustments to align with your goals and aspirations.
- Act: Ultimately, living a life of possibilities requires taking action. Set clear goals, develop an action plan, and take consistent steps towards your dreams and aspirations. Be proactive and seize the opportunities as they arise.
Remember, living a life of possibilities is a mindset and a deliberate choice. Embrace the unknown, believe in yourself, and approach life with an open heart and mind.
Until next week
Leave a Reply